The best beaches on the big island of Hawaii are the ones that take some effort to get too. However there are several that do have public access.
Many of the white sand beaches are on the west side of the island, with the black sand beaches being on the East side of the island.
Best Beaches On The Big Island of Hawaii
12. Waipio Valley -Known as the “Valley of the Kings,” Waipiʻo Valley is located in the Hamakua District of the Big Island of Hawaiʻi. “Waipiʻo” means “curved water” in the Hawaiian language.
11. Kahalu’u Beach Park – Kahalu’u Beach Park is a shallow cove just south of Kailua-Kona on the west side of the Big Island. This is a popular snorkeling destination.
10. Green Sands Beach – Papakōlea Beach is a beach with greenish sand located near South Point, in the Kaʻū district. One of just four green sand beaches known in the World.
9. La’aloa Beach – This beach is often silky white sand and sometimes called “Magic Sands“, since the sand is washed out in a storm several times a year. This beach is 10 minutes south of downtown Kailua-Kona.
8. Richardson’s Beach park – Richardson Beach Park is the only black-sand beach in Hilo, with a seawall that runs along much of the rocky shoreline.
7. Punalu’u black sand beach – Punalu’u County Beach Park is a black-sand beach that is ringed by coconut palms & often populated by sea turtles.The beach is located between Pāhala and Nāʻālehu on the Big Island of Hawaii.
6. Kehena Black Sand Beach – Kehena Black Sand Beach is quite possibly the most majestic black sand beach you will ever lay your eyes upon. Located in the Big Island’s Puna district, this beach is unofficially a clothing optional beach.
5. Ho’okena Beach park – Ho`okena Beach Park is an ancient fishing village, as well as an olden day commercial cattle steamship pier with some remains reaching out to sea. This beach is about an hour south of Kailua-Kona.
4. Mauna Kea Beach – Kaunaoa Beach also known as “Mauna Kea Beach” is considered one of the best beaches in the United States and quite possibly the best beach in all of Hawaii, depending on who you ask. On the Travel Channel’s “World’s All Time Best Beaches” list.
3. Kua Bay – Kua Bay is one of the cleanest beaches in the world, with it’s crystal clear blue water. Located just 20 minutes north of Kailua-Kona.
2. Hapuna Beach – Hapuna Beach State Park is a popular white sand beach located on the west coast of the Big Island along the Kohala coast.
1. Makalawena Beach – Makalawena beach is a gorgeous white silk sand, 2 lava pools and lots of seclusion. Swimming and relaxation are going to be on your agenda when you arrive. Be prepared to walk to this beach however as access is limited.
Best Beaches On The Big Island of Hawaii.