SNORKEL ON THE BIG ISLAND. The big island of Hawaii offers much to be seen in the underwater world. With many reefs, the abundance of marine wildlife in the waters of Hawaii is rich. We want to keep it that way.
SNORKEL ON THE BIG ISLAND
All links are clickable to see additional information about each site.
10. Mauna Kea Beach – Kaunaoa Beach also known as “Mauna Kea Beach” is considered one of the best beaches in the United States and quite possibly the best beach in all of Hawaii, depending on who you ask. On the Travel Channel’s “World’s All Time Best Beaches” list.
9. Kapoho Tide Pools – Considered to be the best snorkeling on the Hilo side, these tide pools are volcanically heated and quite warm, up to about 90 degrees.
8. Green Sands Beach – Papakōlea Beach is a beach with greenish sand located near South Point, in the Kaʻū district. One of just four green sand beaches known in the World.
7. Magic Sands Beach – Magic Sands Beach is often silky white sand and sometimes called “Disappearing Sands“, since the sand is washed out in a storm several times a year.
6. Richardson’s Beach park – Richardson Beach Park is the only black-sand beach in Hilo, with a seawall that runs along much of the rocky shoreline.
5. Ho’okena Beach park – Ho`okena Beach Park is an ancient fishing village, as well as an olden day commercial cattle steamship pier with some remains reaching out to sea.
4. Kua Bay – Kua Bay is one of the cleanest beaches in the world, with it’s crystal clear blue water.
3. Kahaluu Beach Park – Kahalu’u Beach Park is a shallow cove just south of Kailua-Kona on the west side of the Big Island.
2. City of Refuge (Two Step) -Honaunau Bay, famously known as “place of Refuge” is a historical village with a $5.00 parking fee. If you opt not to see the village, next door is “Two Step,” a popular diving and snorkel destination, with a boat ramp.
1. Captain Cook (Kalekakua Bay) – Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park, home to Cook monument, is a deep water bay, known for it’s snorkeling and dolphin encounters. Considered by many to be some of the best snorkeling in the world.